[arch-general] Note: Latest bind-9 update removes root.hints - fails to start with old configs

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Dec 7 05:52:46 UTC 2019

All,

  Just a note to anyone running bind-9 for name resolution, the old configs
containing root.hints now results in named failing to start with:

Dec 06 14:53:02 phoinix named[455]: could not configure root hints from
'root.hint': file not found
Dec 06 14:53:02 phoinix named[455]: loading configuration: file not found
Dec 06 14:53:02 phoinix named[455]: exiting (due to fatal error)

  The solution is just to comment out the old dummy zone relying on root.hints
(I'm sure I recall a note about this some time about, but now it is official).

Quickfix:

// zone "." IN {
//     type hint;
//     file "root.hint";