[arch-general] BrlTTY Hard Dependancy on eSpeak

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 13 23:24:06 UTC 2019

On February 14, 2019 12:17:02 AM GMT+01:00, "brent s." <bts at square-r00t.net> wrote:
>On 2/13/19 5:18 PM, Doug Newgard via arch-general wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 15:25:19 -0500

>is

>could

>>> hopefully polyzen is on this list.
>>>
>>> polyzen-
>>>
>>> any reason why you couldn't add espeak to espeak-ng's provides?
>seems
>>> like it's mostly compatible, at least from the interface and lib
>level:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng#espeak-compatibility
>>>

>> Libs are different, so it's not a drop-in replacement. Provides would
>be
>> incorrect.
>>

>really?
>
>the section i linked to claims this:
>
>"The espeak speak_lib.h include file is located in
>espeak-ng/speak_lib.h
>*with an optional symlink in espeak/speak_lib.h*. This file *contains
>the espeak 1.48.15 API*, with a change to the ESPEAK_API macro to fix
>building on Windows and some minor changes to the documentation
>comments. *This C API is API and ABI compatible with espeak.*"
>(emphasis
>added)
>
>granted, we have espeak 1.48.04 in [community], but 1.48.15's been
>development status since 2015[0]. i have a hard time imagining that
>1.48.04's API and ABI have had breaking changes on what seems to be a
>single patch level release, and one four years old at that.
>

>[0] http://espeak.sourceforge.net/test/latest.html

Then I'm sorry to tell you that's indeed the case.
Look at espeak package history, the epoch is
there for a reason. It was tried to be a drop in
replacement before and had to be reverted.

I still have plans to transform espeak back to the
NG variant, but that needs a bit of time, staging
and planning. For time being you need to accept
it doesn't work that easily.