[arch-general] Participation of Arch in Google Summer of Code.

Tinu Weber takeya at bluewin.ch
Tue Feb 19 15:19:12 UTC 2019

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 14:10:34 +0100, Robin Broda via arch-general wrote:
> On 2/19/19 7:20 AM, Michael Lojkovic via arch-general wrote:
> >
> > The only thing I can think of, which applies to Arch is implementing
> > remakepkg features in pacman. I was going to add those in when I got
> > around to it, but it's also worth doing for Google Summer of Code.
> >
> >  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=236076

Author of remakepkg here. I think that adding such functionality to
pacman would be a bit... backwards.

The forum thread on remakepkg explains why it was originally written; I
hope it is somewhat clear why such a tool or functionality shouldn't
really exist to begin with.

> remakepkg invalidates .BUILDINFO and breaks reproducible builds as far as i can tell.

The semantics of .BUILDINFO in the context of remakepkg were unclear to
me, so I chose to simply ignore it. Reproducible builds were not taken
into account, so it's indeed very likely that it breaks that.

In the end, remakepkg is a hack. But the underlying concept itself is
already a hack, so I'm not feeling too bad, to be honest :-)

(that being said, I'm obviously open for discussing suggestions)

Best,
Tinu