[arch-general] pambase - creating needed files for apps with normal user auth - pam_unix.so?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Feb 19 19:29:04 UTC 2019

All,

  After the pambased defaults change, I thought I had gotten everything fixed,
today scanning to server via vsftpd issued:

Feb 19 12:19:49 phoinix vsftpd[8652]: pam_warn(ftp:auth):
function=[pam_sm_authenticate] flags=0 service=[ftp] terminal=[ftp]
user=[sharp] ruser=[sharp] rhost=[192.168.7.20]

  My question is what do I put in /etc/pam.d/vsftpd?

Looking at some of the other entries, it seems I can do something with
pam_unix.so like screen:

$ cat screen
auth            required        pam_unix.so

or

$ cat dovecot
auth    required        pam_unix.so nullok
account required        pam_unix.so

  Since my user (the copier) has a normal Unix account and password, is there
any benefit to using the dovecot style with both "auth    required" and
"account required" or is the "auth    required" sufficient like screen uses?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.