[arch-general] pambase - creating needed files for apps with normal user auth - pam_unix.so?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 16:29:07 UTC 2019

Hi David,

> My question is what do I put in /etc/pam.d/vsftpd?

It seems flawed that individual users, like you and me, are having to
concoct /etc/pam.d files due to packages not providing them and the
working default having been removed by a pambase upgrade.  This is
because we're not knowledgable in PAM and it's easy to create a file
that allows authentication again but is too permissive.  The end result
is worse than the working default that pambase removed, presuambly
removed with improving security in mind.

>From a QA point of view, shouldn't the old pambase default be put back,
packages that lack their own /etc/pam.d identified and fixed with
well-considered authentication, and then the pambase change re-released?

--
Cheers, Ralph.