[arch-general] What update left mandb scrambled?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Feb 26 18:13:16 UTC 2019

On 02/26/2019 06:33 AM, Edvinas Valatka via arch-general wrote:
> After https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/man-db&id=a296a036a34944f714488f43bf576cca58bda604
> , you have to manualy enable man-db.timer

+#  probably not required
+#  install -d -m755 ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants
+#  ln -s ../man-db.timer
${pkgdir}//usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/man-db.timer

That would then seem to be an update that requires user-intervention and have
some note listed on https://www.archlinux.org/.

The most recent note under "Latest News" is getting quite stale.

I scan the pacman Upgrade output and don't recall seeing a note there either.

I don't see the logic in not enabling the timer by default. If the man pages
are installed, they need to be usable without further user intervention. It
would make more sense to have the people that DON'T want to use the man pages
disable the timer rather than force everybody who wants working man pages to
enable it. Otherwise RTFM means little if they are broken.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.