[arch-general] /var/run vs /run in systemd unit files

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Feb 28 00:37:15 UTC 2019

On 2/27/19 7:04 PM, Genes Lists via arch-general wrote:
> I've noticed warnings from systemd about changing systemd files to
> reference /run instead of /var/run.
>
> I'm not sure if this is upstream or arch or both?  I see it for things like:
>
> rpc-statd (from nfs-utils)
> dovecot
> saslauthd
> chronyd
>
> There may well be more.

The warning comes from systemd, see this Arch bug report for more
details: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/59267

At the time, I did what I believe to have been a thorough
repository-wide search for tmpfiles.d snippets which are produced by
Arch and contained this issue, and either fixed them, or submitted bug
reports that they should be fixed. In a couple cases where the files
were produced by upstream, I submitted bug reports or patches upstream...

If you have other cases where this is happening, please check where the
file comes from, and if it comes from the upstream software, file a bug
with upstream (but Arch Linux itself is not going to add downstream
patches merely to fix a log warning that has no impact).

If there are any remaining packages where the Arch packager has added
his/her own systemd files that contain "/var/run", you are welcome to
file a bug report at https://bugs.archlinux.org

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User