[arch-general] python 3.5 with or without python 3.7

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 7 13:38:14 UTC 2019

On 1/7/19 8:34 AM, Pascal via arch-general wrote:
> hello members (and happy new year),
> my system is up to date and works with python 3.7.
> for a specific need, I want to install python 3.5 but cannot go down
> because its installation breaks an dependency: :: installing python
> (3.5.2-1) breaks dependency 'python>=3.7' required by libreoffice-still.
> what do you think is the easiest way to achieve my goals ?
> regards, lacsaP.

python35 is an AUR package that is *not* the "python" package pinned at
version 3.5

You are not permitted to change the version of the "python" package, as
it will break all python-related software in the entire distribution, of
which there is a tremendous amount. If you do it, you are no longer
running Arch Linux.

There is absolutely no issue with installing the python35 package next
to the python package, it will work flawlessly.

:)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User