[arch-general] Kpartx should be in the repos and archiso for enabling encrypted GPT install

Neven Sajko nsajko at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 21:22:14 UTC 2019

> Do you need the swap to be persistent across reboots in order to support
> hibernation? If not, it is sufficient to have the swap mounted with a
> randomized key.

I would like to be able to resume from hibernation, yes.

> If you do need hibernation support, the simple method would be to use a
> swap file residing on the encrypted /

Simple as in "already well supported", but not optimal, as swap
depends on a filesystem.

> The more complex method would be to copy the initramfs encrypt hook and
> modify it to support an additional encrypted device with a different
> password.

I want full disk encryption. There is nothing controversial about FDE,
it is already covered in the Wiki, except that I want FDE without LVM.

> None of this needs kpartx.
>
> --
> Eli Schwartz
> Bug Wrangler and Trusted User

Thank you for input, indeed all your suggestions would work, but I am
going for the optimal solution here, and kpartx (or an equivalent
devmapper program) seems to be a requirement for that.

Regards,
Neven Sajko