[arch-general] Kpartx should be in the repos and archiso for enabling encrypted GPT install

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 22:43:18 UTC 2019

Le 13/01/2019 à 23:27, Eli Schwartz via arch-general a écrit :
> The more complex method would be to copy the initramfs encrypt hook and
>>> modify it to support an additional encrypted device with a different
>>> password.
>> I want full disk encryption. There is nothing controversial about FDE,
>> it is already covered in the Wiki, except that I want FDE without LVM.
> You can have FDE without LVM today, using the suggestion I just provided
> and you ignored.
>
> Unless you mean that it's not really FDE if attackers can read the
> partition table layout, in which case LVM is not valid as FDE and you'd
> better buy yourself some proprietary hardware-encrypted solution.

Readable partition table layout is exactly the issue (and you answered
yourself about your LVM mistake).

> But I still do not understand what practical benefits you are seeking
> that are not solved by having multiple encrypted partitions on an
> unencrypted partition table.

Well, unencrypted partition table. What he wants is an encrypted
partition table, and more generally no metadata available (so the disk
just looks like plain garbage, not x nice labelled partitions with LUKS
headers).

They are not a lot of choices for that: you need a plain dm-crypt
container on the whole disk, and then being able to partition inside
that. Which leaves LVM2 (too big tool for OP), filesystems with such a
feature (ZFS, Btfrs; but that is then fs-dependent), or tools like kpartx.

So kpartx is the right tool for what he wants.

Regards,
Bruno