[arch-general] VirtualBox 6.0.0 coredumps when accessed via SSH and --headless Win clients crawl. New 5.2.24 is OK

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Jan 15 22:07:27 UTC 2019

All,

  After my thread of 1/3/19 "[arch-general] VirtualBox 6 on 4.20 - Anybody
seeing guests become unresponsive after several hours?", I have been working
the issue on the vbox-users list. The problem effects VirtualBox when accessed
over ssh, and Windows guests run --headless.

  The Virtualbox 6.0.0 console coredumps when accessed via ssh, while windows
guest run --headless throws select/read error (under strace) bringing the
guest to a crawl.

  With the release of 5.2.24 today by oracle, I built and downgraded both
virtualbox-bin and virtualbox-ext-oracle and the problems are completely gone.
Further, the release notes state the 5.2 branch will remain supported through
2020 as 6.0 matures.

  If anyone experiences similar problems with virtualbox when accessed over
your LAN, then the 5.2.24 release is an option I have confirmed works (as well
as all modules building under Linux 4.20.1, Bash 5 and Readline 8, etc..)

  I have not tried the now 6.0.2 yet, but as nothing addressed these issues in
the changelog, I suspect they remain. Will check this weekend and if fixed
will report back.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.