[arch-general] How to grant Apache httpd permission to serve files from my home directory?

Peter Nabbefeld peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de
Thu Jan 24 11:19:20 UTC 2019

Hi Ralph,

thank You for Your reply. But a solution for the httpd server will still
lack permissions for the uwsgi demon. Otherwise, I've noticed some files
in my home directory have permissions 755, while others have only 744.
For executable scripts, IMHO 755 should be correct, so I set those
permissions. But my home directory itself isn't accessible (permissins
710, and it even seems it should have 700), so this doesn't work, too.

I also tried to create a symbolic link to some directory I haven't
access to as a normal user (using sudo and chown -h), but this doesn't
seem to work, either (I only tried a directory listing). So far, the
problem seems I need to permit access not only to the directories I want
to grant it, but also to the parent directories, what is not what I want.

So, is there some other way than to use ACLs (Well, I guess they don't
solve the problem with folders hierarchy, but at least they give finer
control, hopefully, to what is allowed. The problem with existing
permissions is, while my home directory is "protected", everything in it
has only loosely assigned restrictions, so opening my home directory for
general access seems to be a bad idea ...)?

Kind regards

Peter