[arch-general] [Xfce] Notification area tooltips gone

Murari murari.ksr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 22:47:20 UTC 2019

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 15:22, Ralf Mardorf via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Both, xfce4-panel as well as xfce4-power-manager depends on libxfce4ui
> and libxfce4ui depends on gtk2 and gtk3, so you might need to
> configure .config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, too.
>
> FWIW I'm using lxpanel and fbpanel, both depend on gtk2 only. I neither
> have a tooltip setting in my .gtkrc-2.0, nor in
> the .config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, but tooltips are shown by the panel.
>
> My guess is that Xfce4 is a gtk2/gtk3 hybrid, still migrating from one
> to the other, but I might be mistaken.

I don't actually have a settings.ini in that folder. I looked up the GTK+ 3
reference manual, and there is a 'gtk-enable-tooltips' property, but it is
deprecated and ignored since 3.10. I created the file and added the line
anyway, but that didn't solve the problem.