[arch-general] PC build for hardware video acceleration

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 13:54:23 UTC 2019

Le 19/07/2019 à 12:00, L. Rose a écrit :
> Dear community,
>
> I want to build a new CPU-focused Arch Linux PC. No requirements for GPU, except for H.265 4K decode, in decent profiles (whatever that means).
>
> What hardware is best supported by libraries like VA-API and VDPAU? Are there other relevant libraries? Which libraries are still maintained and up-to-date, which are open source?
>
> I see three options right now:
>
> 1. High-end Intel CPU (e.g. i9-9900K) w/ integrated HD 630 GPU, or
> 2. CPU w/o iGPU (e.g. AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X) + dedicated, low-end AMD GPU (e.g. Radeon RX 560)
> 3. CPU w/o iGPU and low-end NVidia GPU (e.g. GTX 1050)
>
> I couldn't find out which setup works best using the wiki and other sources. Maybe anyone could point me to the right direction? What hardware is recommended for good H.265 4K playback on GPU?
>
> Thanks in advance, kind regards,
>
> L.

I would prefer solution 1 or 2, which use VA-API and have the broader
support
(https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration#Application_support).
Haven’t tried an AMD GPU, but it should be working fine nowadays. So at
this point this is mostly a question of which CPU you want. And
currently AMD ones seems to be quite above Intel solutions. ;)

3 would work too, but as Maxime pointed out relies on NVDEC, which might
not be supported everywhere and of course relies on Nvidia proprietary
driver (which, depending on the lifetime expectancy for your new PC,
could become an issue at some point —e.g. when the driver version for
your GPU won’t support newer X/Wayland/whatever display server will be
used by then).

Regards,
Bruno