[arch-general] Remove Clisp from repository

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Jul 24 23:31:51 UTC 2019

On 7/24/19 7:17 PM, Gilgamesh via arch-general wrote:
> On 7/24/19 1:44 AM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>> On 7/24/19 12:35 AM, Gilgamesh via arch-general wrote:
>>> Hello, firstly, I don't know where I can send this message, so sorry if
>>> this is the wrong place.
>>>
>>> Clisp (an ANSI Common Lisp interpreter) hadn't received a new release
>>> since 2010-07-07 and the last update on the extra repo was on
>>> 2019-01-11, so I thought as we have others better options than Clisp,
>>> like sbcl on the extra repo, that has an active development, may be
>>> better if the Clisp package is removed from the arch repositories.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by this since the clisp version we package is
>> built from this 2018 code:
>> https://gitlab.com/gnu-clisp/clisp/commit/8934707712fc87a5dbe9c4387440ed024525b38a
>>

>> The most recent commit to the project is from 3 weeks ago.
>>

> I didn't know about this repository on GitLab, but if you go to the
> official Clisp site (https://www.gnu.org/software/clisp/), you will see
> that the latest version (2.49) was released on 2010-07-07.

That's correct, if you look at the official site it states the source
code hosting location is sourceforge, and the latest commit to the
sourceforge repository added this file:
https://sourceforge.net/p/clisp/clisp/ci/default/tree/00_REPOSITORY_HAS_MOVED

Since sourceforge has an hgweb instance which is less gross than their
custom VCS browser, take a look at the revision history here:
http://hg.code.sf.net/p/clisp/clisp

The version that Arch Linux packages, by the way, is a beta release.
Which is forgivable since the alternative is missing out on almost a
full decade of improvements. ;)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User