[arch-general] Different outputs for 'groups' and 'groups user'

Morgan Adamiec morganamilo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 21:09:01 UTC 2019

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 at 22:01, riveravaldez via arch-general
<arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask this, let me know if it's not.
>
> Maybe this is normal, but couldn't clarify it by reading the Arch Wiki [1]:
>
> [user at arch ~]$ whoami
> user
> [user at arch ~]$ groups
> sys lp wheel ftp uucp log rfkill http games audio users user
> [user at arch ~]$ groups user
> sys lp wheel ftp uucp log rfkill http games audio users realtime user
>
> Why different outputs?
> Is it normal and with no issues?
> Should I do something?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_groups#Group_management

Did you just add yourself to that group? Groups are usually applied
when you log in,
so you need to log out and back in. My assumption is that `groups user` goes and
looks up the groups in passwd for that user. While `groups` uses
what's applied to
your currently login session.