[arch-general] Mariadb Tables Still Compatible with Backup Server Running Earlier Version?

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Fri Jun 28 09:56:08 UTC 2019

"David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> on Thu, 2019/06/27 21:29:
> This is more a general question following the mariadb feature update to
> 10.4.6-1. Do the tables remain compatible with servers running earlier
> versions of mariadb?

You should not expect the binary format to be compatible.

> What happens if a backup from an earlier version has to be rolled into the
> new version?

That should work without problem. Just make sure to run mariadb-upgrade again.

> Or more importantly, can a backup from the new version be used to update
> servers running earlier versions of mariadb?

This should be handled with care. Most dumps should work - as long as you do
not use features not available in earlier versions.
You should *not* restore the mysql schema into an older server.

> (I have the same database running on Arch with backup handled by openSuSE,
> still running 10.0.35)

Hmm... Wondering what this means. You run mysqldump from an openSuSE system
or is the older mariadb server involved?
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Best regards             my address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)