[arch-general] Arch Linux USB stick won't boot

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Mar 23 06:15:54 UTC 2019

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 20:57:54 -0600, steve at vwebr.net wrote:
>I need to end up with a distro that has good driver support,
>and very low resource utilization and gets me to a GUI in 20
>steps or less, which are clear steps.
>
>Ubuntu being virtually zero steps, so that gives you a better idea.

Hi,

you mistake apples for oranges. The Ubuntu install media that is
closest to Arch might be the Ubuntu Server install media or the Network
installer. I suspect even the Network installer is a ncurses
thingy. However, if you install from the Ubuntu Server image and
deselect a few package groups, you get something similar to an Arch
base install. From then on you need to use Ubuntu with command line,
too, to e.g. install a window manager. At this point the difference
related to the count of steps that has to be done to finish the
install, is due to the different distro policies and the
user's needs. For example, after installing an Ubuntu package usually
everything that could be autostarted, gets autostarted, so you might
need to disable a lot. On Arch Linux it's the other way round, you need
to enable a lot. IOW even when using Ubuntu, you unlikely get what you
want by "virtually zero steps". You are the only one who knows exactly,
what you need. Btw. there are still a lot of differences between
distros once they are installed. IMO the only way to find out which
distro fits best, is to install several distros and to test them by
daily usage. I don't know how many steps it takes to get to a GUI when
installing Arch Linux, but to get a full configured Arch Linux install
that fit to your needs, you most likely need to do way more than 20
steps. Keep in mind that you might do an Arch Linux install just once
in a lifetime. Once it is installed, you might never do an install
again, you "only" maintain the install and from time to time you restore
the install from a backup, e.g. when migrating to new hardware.

Regards,
Ralf

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-pussytoes,-cornflower,,-securityink}}|cut -d\  -f2
5.0.3.arch1-1