[arch-general] announce libraries in provides=()

Andy Pieters arch-general at andypieters.me.uk
Thu May 16 15:06:51 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 3:23 PM mike lojkovic via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Suggesting pacman add some portage style features for dependency resolution
> and packaging? Modifying packages on a local system to fix bugs caused by
> versions of packages?

Arch Linux has always made it clear that partial upgrades are unsupported.
I have had to do some hair-raising things to recover some systems after
doing partial upgrades, but this perhaps may make all of our lives a bit
easier. Even if their official stance on partial upgrades remains, it would
at least a more sane safeguard against ending up in a system that can only
be recovered by the guruest of gurus. (e.g. you upgraded glibc and nothing
works any more, or you've broken pacman,...)