[arch-general] announce libraries in provides=()

Michael Lojkovic mikelojkovic at gmail.com
Sat May 18 17:45:48 UTC 2019

On Thu, 16 May 2019 16:06:51 +0100
Andy Pieters <arch-general at andypieters.me.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 3:23 PM mike lojkovic via arch-general <
> arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> > Suggesting pacman add some portage style features for dependency
> > resolution and packaging? Modifying packages on a local system to
> > fix bugs caused by versions of packages?
> >

> Arch Linux has always made it clear that partial upgrades are
> unsupported. I have had to do some hair-raising things to recover
> some systems after doing partial upgrades, but this perhaps may make
> all of our lives a bit easier. Even if their official stance on
> partial upgrades remains, it would at least a more sane safeguard
> against ending up in a system that can only be recovered by the
> guruest of gurus. (e.g. you upgraded glibc and nothing works any
> more, or you've broken pacman,...)

I was not suggesting partial upgrades; but, I suppose that feature
would be come along as a result. I'm referring to the fact that using
Quarry to manage Ruby packages installed caused an edge caused a naming
issue with the main repos. There used to be ruby-unicorn on the arch
repos, which has been renamed to ruby-unicorn-engine mainly out of
Quarry pointing out issues with naming. So, ruby-unicorn is a ruby gem
that does web server stuff, and ruby-unicorn in the official repos had
something to do with hardware emulation. The ruby-unicorn in Quarry was
using the proper ruby name for the package, while the arch repo one was
using a different name for the their ruby gem.

So, I have to modify pacman.conf to keep the ruby-unicorn from Quarry
installed, and I still receive warnings about the name change.
Actually, I'll keep getting that warning if I install the properly named
ruby-unicorn, according to the gems list. It would be nice to just
modify the depenendencies locally.