[arch-general] js60 update -- reveals older packages installed as deps not updated and left on system

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Mon May 20 10:20:53 UTC 2019

Le 20/05/2019 à 11:42, Georg a écrit :
> Am 18.05.2019 01:23, schrieb David C. Rankin:
>> $ pmq | grep '^js'
>> js 24.2.0-4
>> js17 17.0.0-4
>> js52 52.9.0-2
>> js60 60.6.3-1
>
> What puzzles me is the wide range of version numbers with the
> un-suffixd package not even being the highest. Can anyone explain
> their versioning scheme, like does it make sense when read backwards
> or what?

The unsuffixed package being an old version is a legacy leftover. Note
that we don’t have anymore a `js` package in the repo.

The versioning scheme is actually quite simple when you know what this
is about: js is Mozilla js engine from Firefox. js releases follow
Firefox ESR ones, which were every 7 versions before (starting from 10)
and 8 now. Next version will be js68, planned to be released early July.

Regards,
Bruno