[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Mkinitcpio replacement with Dracut

Lone_Wolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Tue May 21 15:21:31 UTC 2019

On 21-05-2019 16:26, Genes Lists via arch-general wrote:
> On 5/20/19 10:41 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> Hi All,

>> In this initial phase I want to ask as many of you to test this as a
>> replacement to mkinitcpio in your setups,
>> as many as possible, and in as many scenarios as possible. We will
>
> I'm an arch tester and I'd be happy to test dracut.
>
> It would be helpful if you could create a little write-up on 'how to
> switch' from mkinitcpio to dracut.
>
> Its straightforward for me to add a boot stanza to refind to use the
> dracut img.
>
> And I assume modules now in HOOKS would move to
> /etc/dracut.conf.d/hooks.conf
> or similar.
>
> All being well, the kernel package will need to be modified to update
>
> /usr/share/libalpm/hooks/60-linux.hook
>
> to now call dracut.
>
> Thanks for working on this.
>
> gene

from https://dracut.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page :

  * Scripts that end up on the initrd should be POSIX compliant. dracut
    will try to use /bin/dash as /bin/sh for the initrd if it is
    available, so you should install it on your system -- dash aims for
    strict POSIX compliance to the extent possible.
  * Hooks MUST be POSIX compliant -- they are sourced by the init
    script, and having a bashism break your user's ability to boot
    really sucks.

Seems like having dracut depending on bash may not be a good idea.

Or is there a way to make sure dracut scripts & hooks will use bash in
POSIX-compliant mode ?

LW