[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Mkinitcpio replacement with Dracut

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Tue May 21 17:21:07 UTC 2019

Em maio 21, 2019 13:24 Genes Lists via arch-general escreveu:
> 1) Feedback:
> Tested one computer and it worked fine.
> Used refind to boot - it has encrytped /home but not root.
> Got text prompt for passphrase not graphical - think there is a way to
> get graphical as well but need to read further how to do that. I prefer
> text as I also can see the boot progress details which is helpful.
> Still, be good to know how to get the graphical prompt anyway.

I suppose as more and more people start using it, we'll eventually have
instructions on how to do these more custom environments.

> Created initrd using
> # dracut --kver xxx

No need for using --kver, unless your booted kernel differs from the installed
one. The pacman hooks will have to use kver, most likely.

> This seems to contain pretty much everything best I can tell
>
> 2) Question:
>    Arch typically has used unversioned initrd images which has the
>    convenience that the boot standzas don't need updating on new kernel.

Just dracut -f /boot/initramfs-linux.img. It is that simple.

> or perhps soft link (ln -s)?

We don't need to make things that complex.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini