[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Mkinitcpio replacement with Dracut

Jonas Witschel diabonas at gmx.de
Wed May 22 16:22:10 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-22 17:25, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general wrote:
>> Unfortunately this process currently only works for AMD, but not for
>> Intel, since Arch Linux doesn't package the necessary files standalone:
>> they are downloaded by intel-ucode and used to produce a CPIO image, but
>> not added to /usr/lib/firmware/intel-ucode/ separately. If dracut
>> becomes the default initramfs generator, this should be changed so that
>> microcode updates work out of the box with dracut.
>>

> This is not a huge issue, if the microcode is passed alongside the
> initramfs
> on the cmdline, like we have been doing.
>
> We might also change the intel-ucode package, but it is not a
> requirement and
> will not prevent the move to dracut.

This is certainly not a blocker, no, but would be very nice to have:
dracut can bundle kernel, kernel command line, microcode updates and
initramfs in a single EFI executable using the "--uefi" parameter. This
means setting up booting becomes as simple as

dracut --uefi
bootctl install

No further configuration is needed at all because dracut and bootctl
implement the Boot Loader Specification [1] (slight caveat: there is
currently a small bug if the EFI system partition is mounted to /efi [2]).

Regards,
Jonas

[1]
https://systemd.io/BOOT_LOADER_SPECIFICATION#type-2-efi-unified-kernel-images