[arch-general] Arch on NVMe ssd

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed May 22 20:11:19 UTC 2019

On 05/22/2019 10:27 AM, Ram Kumar via arch-general wrote:
> I bought a new laptop that has NVMe ssd on it. I would like to install Arch
> on that, is there any precautions that i need to take? Also i would like to
> get feedback from Archers who already tried this.

Drive it like you stole it!

No special precautions needed for SSD anymore. The old write-limitations have
all but disappeared. Samsungs 3/5 year warranties presume a 60% daily rewrite
of the drive (so for a 1T drive, that's 600GB of daily writes assumed)

Like 11 sec boots from OFF to Full Desktop? They are pretty amazing compared
to platter. Have large builds (like rebuilding php or KDE). Compile times now
a fraction of what they were with platter drives.

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_state_drive for TRIM or fstrim
configs/consideration.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.