[arch-general] Arch on NVMe ssd

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu May 23 04:16:55 UTC 2019

On 05/22/2019 10:12 PM, Ram Kumar via arch-general wrote:
> Nice,
> Thanks a lot guys. My first job for tomorrow will be to install Arch on my
> laptop.
>
> can you explain me a little detail on that rewrite stuff?, i am slightly
> confused

  Sure, here is a good article that explains it:

How Long do SSDs Really Last?
https://www.ontrack.com/blog/2018/02/07/how-long-do-ssds-really-last/

  You can find many more similar articles, and if you find the old (pre-2015)
ones, you will see the fear they had on exceeding the cell write limits. SSD's
have improved significantly, and the cell re-write issue has gone away for the
most part.

  As mentioned in the article to hit the lifetime of a 250GB drive in one
year, you would need to re-write 190GB per-day, every day, for the entire year.

  In normal desktop/laptop use, you rarely write more than 1-2GB a day on
average -- so that would translate into a 190-95 year wear-life for the drive
under normal use. Even at 10GB a day, that would be a 19 year life for the drive.

  So based on those figures, you would install Arch with your choice of
desktop, use it for the day, delete everything and repeat the install/delete
every day for 10 years and still be fine.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.