[arch-general] License for libdrm packages

mar77i at protonmail.ch mar77i at protonmail.ch
Thu May 23 21:53:50 UTC 2019

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Thursday, May 23, 2019 11:15 PM, mpan <archml-y1vf3axu at mpan.pl> wrote:

> I talked about the topic on #archlinux and it seems that the accepted
> solution is to use 'MIT' in the `license` array, despite there is no
> corresponding text in the “licenses” package, and put the text into
> “/usr/share/licenses/pkgname”, despite it is not marked as 'custom' in
> the `license` array. ¯\(ツ)/¯

MIT, along with other BSD-like licenses contain authors' individual copyright notices for each project. Arch therefore can't provide a - in this sense - valid copy of the respective license to refer users to, because that would be illogical. So we put the recognizable name of the license in the license array and ship the individual license file along with the project.

It's possible I misunderstood what part of this process caused confusion with you, so please elaborate your position further, I'll gladly answer or research more questions.

cheers!
mar77i

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.