[arch-general] User/group name restrictions

Andy Pieters arch-general at andypieters.me.uk
Fri May 24 08:03:26 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 12:08 AM Eli Schwartz via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Given that your initial post does specifically state that you are
> patching the package in order to allow it, I will assume that nothing I
> just said about upstream's intentions is remotely surprising to you --
> you would have to know that it's enforced in libmisc/chkname.c in order
> to patch it, soooo... may I ask why you posted to the list asking why it
> is not allowed "in Arch Linux", rather than "in the upstream,
> distribution-agnostic shadow-maint software"?

 What is obvious to me now is that I formed the wrong opinion years ago
when I had just started to use Arch (coming from a distro that did allow
uppercase user names) and now when I finally decided to go and ask the
question I didn't revisit that opinion and I should have because if I had
bothered to go over things again I would have come to the same conclusion.

This wasn't a trick question or a deliberate intent to mislead just my own
failing in this matter