[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Mkinitcpio replacement with Dracut

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Sun May 26 14:29:43 UTC 2019

Em maio 26, 2019 0:08 Eli Schwartz via arch-general escreveu:

> Anyway I suspect this thread is not the best place to begin a
> fundamental discussion about whether GNU bash is allowed to claim it
> implements POSIX. Also I doubt dracut does insane things like attempt to
> invoke a utility named "^", with or without doing the POSIX thing and
> disambiguating it with the use of the command utility.

And, even if it did, dracut gives you the ability to use either dash, busybox
or bash. Perhaps even more. But all this discussion about pure POSIX or not is
not really related to this thread.

My main concerns are: 1) Is dracut a good replacement for mkinitcpio?
2) Can it do everything mkinitcpio do?
3) And, more importantly, does it mount the root fs like it is the purpose of all initramfs?

Based on the replies I've got so far, with some minor issues, dracut is working on Arch just fine.
I'm working on libalpm hooks for both mkinitcpio and dracut so the image creation is done automatically.
Also, both packages now provide a virtual 'initramfs' package, so we can switch to this when everything
is ready.

I plan also to provide with the dracut package a configuration similar to what we have today, creating
a hostonly image and a fallback image. Once all this is ready, we can start deploying dracut on our ISO.
Also, when the kernel packages switch to the 'initramfs' dependency, we'll be able to have pure dracut
installations.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini