[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Mkinitcpio replacement with Dracut

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon May 27 19:49:18 UTC 2019

On 5/27/19 6:10 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Eli Schwartz via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> I think Chet Ramey did a pretty good explanation in the linked mailing
>> list about why this is a fundamental misunderstanding of what "POSIX"
>> means, but just to be extra sure... you are aware that POSIX defines
>> `command ^` as the only true, correct POSIX way to suppress shell
>> extensions and functions and ensure lookup as a true utility (and "^" is
>
> This is not true:
>
> "command" prevents to use functions, but it does not prevent to use shell
> extensions that are built in commands.

Pretty sure that's exactly what I said, but whatever.

(`cd` is a "utility" even though it's a bit unique in that it's
literally impossible to implement as an external binary, that's about as
definite as it's likely to get.)

Anyway if any shell implemented the "^" program as an in-process shell
builtin command, I can only assume that for such a standardized thing as
it would have to be, it would presume to be compatible with Neven
Sajko's `exec(3)`'able version and life will be great (and also
POSIX-compatible).

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User