[arch-general] new packaging of the kernel/mkinitcpio/kmod

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Nov 1 22:06:03 UTC 2019

On 10/31/19 6:19 PM, Geo Kozey via arch-general wrote:
> Thx, my concern was more about maintenance burden for Arch devs vs relying on dracut + kernel-install combo and call it a day.
> If devs prefer to work on exclusive service for Arch users then let it be.

Dracut does not work out of the box (we currently patch it to not use a
nonexistent tool, and the same patch is now in upstream master but with
no release in sight), and has issues like the tests failing on
non-Redhat systems.

Our dracut packager tried to get in touch with the dracut developer,
after a lack of success for quite some time it seems that the individual
in question was on... parental leave, IIRC? I'm not sure what the
current status is.

So the jury is still out on whether dracut or mkinitcpio is more work. ;)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User