[arch-general] Many timers now running at boot. How to make them run later?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Nov 21 22:44:42 UTC 2019

On 11/21/2019 01:01 PM, Christian Hesse wrote:
> "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> on Thu, 2019/11/21 12:13:
>> I wonder why systemd doesn't do this by default?
>
> It's not systemd to blame. The timer unit files are shipped by the respective
> projects, like util-linux, man-db, mlocate, shadow, logrotate, ...

That makes perfect sense...

I'll have to look back at what the scheme was when things would just get
dropped in /etc/cron.daily {.hourly, .monthly, .weekly}, etc.. It really has
been until the last 9-12 months or so that I've notice the delays growing at boot.

It would really be nice if there was a setting in /etc/systemd/system.conf (or
one of the other .conf file) that would simply let you set the hour of the day
for the default timers of this type to run. That way you could just set
something like 0400 and solve the problem for not only current timers, but all
future ones as well.

I'll drop a note if I find anything else that may be helpful as I paw my way
though the documentation.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.