[arch-general] python-cmake?

Chris Billington chrisjbillington at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 19:01:54 UTC 2019

Though in this case OP is in a venv, so that's fine, it's only at the
system level where it's a bad idea.

Having said that, I do use pip outside of venvs a little bit, it can be
done somewhat safely, but you have to know what you're doing, such as
installing everything to /usr/local so it doesn't collide with
pacman-managed files and can be just deleted if you run into any issues:

$ cat /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sitecustomize.py
import site
from sys import version_info as v
# Add /usr/local/lib/pythonx.y/site-packages as a site dir:
site.addsitedir('/usr/local/lib/python{}.{}/site-packages'.format(v.major,
v.minor))

$ sudo cat /root/.config/pip/pip.conf
[install]
install-option=--prefix=/usr/local

Main remaining issue is that unmet dependencies pulled in by pip might be
unnecessary if they are available in the Arch repos or AUR - though since
/usr/local/lib/pythonx.y/site-packages is added at the end of sys.path,
those packages won't shadow /usr/lib/pythonx.y/site-packages - they will
just be redundant and at worst break the pip-installed packages who
expected a different version and get the pacman-managed one instead.

-Chris