[arch-general] `base` group replaced by mandatory `base` package - manual intervention required

Mohammadreza Abdollahzadeh morealaz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 04:17:19 UTC 2019

Hi, there
I like to say that the idea of having a base and base-extra meta
package instead of previously base group is a great idea. For me Arch
greatest strength is giving the user control and choice over their
system and which software they need to install. Having a meta package
for really essential packages which every Arch installation needs
instead of previously general base group and having to choose which
other package to install which some of them have alternatives like
linux and linux-lts and so on, is exactly what that means to have
choice and control over our system.
I think many of complaints that arises with respect to this change is
simply about not having enough information about these new changes and
how from now on we must install a new Arch.
That's where Arch other greatest strength come to play, our beloved
wiki. A good explanation in installation page could solve that.