[arch-general] `base` group replaced by mandatory `base` package - manual intervention required

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Oct 11 00:36:51 UTC 2019

On 10/10/19 7:14 AM, Jonathan Steel via arch-general wrote:
> I think we should have created a "minimal" group rather than repurposing
> the base one. Then as a separate issue to tackle, add "kernel" and "editor"
> etc to the base group which would prompt the user to choose, or if
> non-interactive install the first listed.

Groups don't "depend" on things like virtual provides=(), you tag an
actual .pkg.tar.xz with a group and then search for every pkgname that
has that group. So I'm not sure what you are suggesting here.

But regardless, we very explicitly wanted to *not* use the name "base"
for recommendations, because it does not make clear that it is in fact
recommendations.

So the choices were either get rid of the base group and make a base
package, or also get rid of the base group, but make a package named
something entirely differently. There is no option on the table for
there to continue to be a confusing group named "base".

If you're really in love with groups and don't want to see a metapackage
then once again we would still need to delete the base group in order to
create a "minimal" group, and any group of recommendations would need to
be named something like, oh, "base-extras". So, once again, you would
not be able to `pacstrap /mnt base`. Some changes were always inevitable.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User