[arch-general] Package guidelines 📦

Robin Broda arch-ml at coderobe.net
Mon Oct 14 14:53:28 UTC 2019

On 10/14/19 4:48 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella via arch-general wrote:
> I want to suggest including all or some of these in the package guidelines <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_package_guidelines>, or the appropriate documentation:
>

> *New items:*
>
> - Write your PKGBUILD in a way that will work by itself as long as possible, for example by automatically generating the list of archives instead of hard coding them.

What

?

> - In pkgdesc don't describe what the package is, but rather what it does. Using a natural wording that any person will understand. For example don't say "GTK UVC video viewer", but "Captures image from a webcam".

This is wrong

> - If the license is a Creative Commons one, write it like "CCPL:by-sa".
>

> *Modifications:*
>
> - Start new variables and functions names with a capital letter, to avoid clashes with those in makepkg itself.

This directly conflicts with our existing package etiquette[1]

> - In pkgver(), any printf() line shall finish with the new line char (\n).
>

> *Useful functions:*
>
> In package(), you can set permissions recursively with:
> find "${pkgdir}" -type d -exec chmod u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx {} \;
> find "${pkgdir}" -type f -exec chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r {} \;
> chmod +x "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/${Name}"

This is universally stupid. Sometimes permissions exist for a reason...

> In pkgver(), you can get the version from a web-site with something like this:
> curl --silent "${url}" | grep "${string}" | cut --delimiter='"' --fields=1

No, you may not curl a remote for a version string. pkgver is ran *after* source acquisition.

Too bad(?!) - Subscribe to the mailing list if you wish to partake or start threads like this...

Please don't make up new guidelines that are both nonsensical and in direct conflict of existing guidelines.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_package_guidelines#Package_etiquette

--
Rob (coderobe)