[arch-general] Silent boot with systemd and sd-encrypt initcpio hooks

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Mon Oct 28 11:19:34 UTC 2019

Sefa Eyeoglu <sefa at mailbox.org> on Mon, 2019/10/28 10:06:
> On Montag, 28. Oktober 2019 09:46:57 CET Christian Hesse wrote:
> > Sefa Eyeoglu via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> on Sun,
> > 2019/10/27
> > 15:37:
> > > [...]
> > > As you can see, I have an encrypted root partition. Before switching to
> > > systemd hooks, after typing the decryption password on boot there was no
> > > additional output. Now there is always the full systemd log where it
> > > says "Starting [unit]..." and so on.
> > > [...]
> >
> > If a unit takes too long to start systemd switches to verbose mode for
> > possible issue diagnose. Everything is correct and you take too long to
> > type your passphrase. ;)
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Is there an easy way to set the timeout?

From man systemd(1):

       systemd.show_status
           Takes a boolean argument or the constant auto. Can be also
           specified without an argument, with the same effect as a positive
           boolean. If enabled, the systemd manager (PID 1) shows terse
           service status updates on the console during bootup.  auto
           behaves like false until a unit fails or there is a significant
           delay in boot. Defaults to enabled, unless quiet is passed as
           kernel command line option, in which case it defaults to auto. If
           specified overrides the system manager configuration file option
           ShowStatus=, see systemd-system.conf(5). However, the process
           command line option --show-status= takes precedence over both
           this kernel command line option and the configuration file
           option.

So you can disable this functionality, but not sure if you can set a timeout.
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Best regards             my address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)