[arch-general] new packaging of the kernel/mkinitcpio/kmod

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Thu Oct 31 18:30:42 UTC 2019

Em outubro 31, 2019 15:11 Geo Kozey escreveu:

> What was the reason for not using kernel-install[1] standard instead of all of those Arch's exclusive hooks again??
>
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/kernel-install.html
>
> Yours sincerely
>
> G. K.

There are several reasons for not using it. It's overly complex, it does a lot of assumptions for you, among other
things. That doesn't mean it *can't* be used by the users. We are taking baby steps on making the booting process
on Arch overall more flexible.

You can *right now* completely override the mkinitcpio hooks and, install and deal with the kernel *any* way you want.
Want to not use /boot? Can do. Want to stuff everything on /efi? Can do. Want a hook that will build your efistub and
update entries? Can do. This update opens up lots of possibilities, while also maintaining (some) backward compatibility.

I'm planning a few changes [0] to mkinitcpio, to make this even more flexible. Also, as I've mentioned, dracut should receive
soon, hooks similar to those mkinitcpio did, with a few differences of course. But, since the most important part for keeping
most user's systems booting is the actual kernel installation, if you opt to override either the mkinitcpio hooks or dracut's,
it will be your job to make sure you install the kernel to wherever you want it.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini

[0] https://github.com/archlinux/mkinitcpio/issues