[arch-general] 2x 1440p displays not working on thunderbold dock anymore

wry at mm.st wry at mm.st
Sat Sep 14 18:40:58 UTC 2019

>I use Arch on a Thinkpad T480 with the Lenovo Thunderbold 3 dock.

Hi, I have the same dock and I have had loads of problems with
it. Almost all of them resolve and reoccur somewhat
randomly - nothing seems reproducible. I think the issue (for me) is the
dock, not the laptop.

>I don't know why this doesn't work anymore. Could it be a driver
>issue?

Do the displays work correctly again with a cable other than DP, like
HDMI?

You could also look into your BIOS firmware - there are usually a few
updates available on Lenovo's website (bootable Windows ISO) and if
you're lucky they'll be available via fwupdmgr from Linux. There might
be firmware updates for the actual dock, too. I'm laying low because
my dock works *most* of the time.

Best,
Nick