[arch-general] Recent logwatch update may need a news item?

Amish anon.amish at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 14:33:57 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 20/09/19 6:51 pm, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> On 9/19/19 8:29 PM, Amish via arch-general wrote:
>> Thanks but why would one parse logs to log it back to logs?
> I'm not sure what this statement means, but there is no "parsing", and
> the only "logs" are the systemd ones. Just emailing the logs doesn't
> constitute re-logging it to a new log.

??? (read below)

>> The default behaviour of earlier version of logwatch was to send email
>> to root. (via cron)
> The default behavior of earlier versions of the logwatch archlinux
> package, yes. What about the default behavior of logwatch itself?
>
> Also, like, the vast majority of system logs aren't automatically
> emailed to root by the software itself. I guess the vast majority of
> logs in a systemd-based distro aren't emailed at all (because unlike
> cron, systemd does not do this by default).

Umm, I am not sure if you are using logwatch? It seems that you are not.

>> So I guess if the timer was meant to be drop in replacement for cron
>> then it should e-mail too.
> Who said it was supposed to be a drop-in replacement for cron? The
> impression I got from looking at https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/56357
> is that the timer was supposed to be a "migration from cron installs to
> the upstream systemd service".

Only the maintainer would be able to tell what his intention was.

Because current upstream .service file is more or less useless. It
parses the logs (journal) and sends the output (which is logwatch
report) to systemd which in turn puts the logwatch report to journal!
What is the point of sending log reports (back) to journal?

I will report to upstream to fix this soon, when I get time.

> I really don't see why you think archlinux should be opinionated and
> modify upstream service files. I hear your argument that the package
> should have a post_upgrade message.

If something is buggy. That should be fixed. Ofcourse first attempt
should be made to fix at upstream which I will do. But Logwatch has
history of not releasing new version for long. (it took 2 and half years
between 7.4.3 to 7.5.0)

So if logwatch does not fix service file for long then may be maintainer
can look at it.

Regard,

Amish.