[arch-general] Linux 5.3 - Virtualbox 5.2.32 modules fail to build - upstream bug opened

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Sep 21 06:03:00 UTC 2019

On 09/20/2019 11:57 AM, Ralf Mardorf via arch-general wrote:
> virtualbox-bin from AUR is already patched with a fix.
> https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/commit/?h=virtualbox-bin&id=83f1870f15d86179a665dc0c6b36815a385f6fbe
>
> You could try to adapt it to your virtualbox-bin-5 tarball from AUR without much editing...
>
> $ wget -q https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/snapshot/virtualbox-bin{,-5}.tar.gz
> $ tar xf virtualbox-bin.tar.gz; tar xf virtualbox-bin-5.tar.gz
> $ diff -r virtualbox-bin virtualbox-bin-5
> [snip]
>
> ...perhaps you have good luck. Sometimes patches apply with an offset and work out of the box.

Thank you Ralf,

  I have the kernel modules building with a combination of the following patches:

009-include-path.patch
015-linux-5-3.patch

  The 013-Makefile patch must be specific to 6.X as on 5.2.32 is throws an error:

Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Skipping patch.

  Still have testing, but it looks promising.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.