[arch-general] High lag in graphical applications

hw hw at adminart.net
Sun Sep 22 17:09:32 UTC 2019

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:23:29 PM CEST L. Rose wrote:
> On 19 September 2019 17:29:05 CEST, hw <hw at adminart.net> wrote:
> >At least NVIDIA graphics cards can go bad in that they can cause
> >temporary
> >hangs, accompanied by log messages, indicating that the GPU is damaged.
>
> Where would I find such logs? I couldn't find anything in dmesg so far.

They were showing in /var/log/messages.  I'll never understand why the
invaluable feature of logging all kinds of messages was removed ...

If you don't see any, it doesn't mean anything because unless do see them, you
don't know.  For all I know, all the software may have changed since and the
message could have been removed.  If there is an error message, you'd know.

> >So perhaps if you were to stress-test the graphics card, or if you were
> >to use
> >the other card instead, you might be able to see some interesting
> >results.
>
> What kind of stress test comes to your mind?

It had been noticeable when running an OpenGL program in that the program
would freeze up for a second or two and then kept going as if nothing was
wrong until it froze up again.  I guess you could run a few games: The more it
puts the GPU to work, the better, and there may be particular features of the
graphics card that might trigger the problem while others don't.  I don't know
if there is a particular stress test available.