[arch-general] High lag in graphical applications

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Sep 22 18:27:22 UTC 2019

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 19:32:37 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 19:09:32 +0200, hw wrote:
>>On Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:23:29 PM CEST L. Rose wrote:
>>> What kind of stress test comes to your mind?
>>
>>It had been noticeable when running an OpenGL program in that the
>>program would freeze up for a second or two and then kept going as if
>>nothing was wrong until it froze up again.  I guess you could run a
>>few games: The more it puts the GPU to work, the better, and there may
>>be particular features of the graphics card that might trigger the
>>problem while others don't.  I don't know if there is a particular
>>stress test available.
>
>I never used it myself, but perhaps it's helpful:
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Benchmarking#GpuTest

After building gputest I run 'gputest_gui.py'.

Here some tests don't run at all.

However, at 1920x1080 'Julia FP32' runs nearly fluently, with a little
bit of stutter, but 'Voloplosion' is completely stuttering, no flow at
all and even the mouse cursor is sluggish. IOW a short 'freeze'
(stuttering) not necessarily indicates a broken GPU. My GPU is probably
just not powerful.

$ hwinfo --memory|grep Size;hwinfo --cpu|grep Model|sort -u;hwinfo --gfxcard|grep Driver\ S;gputest_gui.py
  Memory Size: 7 GB + 512 MB
  Model: 6.60.3 "Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1840 @ 2.80GHz"
    Driver Status: i915 is active

Geeks3D GpuTest - GPU monitoring
Num GPU(s): 1
- GPU0: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)