[arch-general] Problems with files creation / copy with Samba 4.12.x and SMB1 only device.

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Apr 3 07:12:48 UTC 2020

On 03/31/2020 04:49 PM, fredbezies via arch-general wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Before all, thanks to David C. Radkin for the tweak related to SMB1
> activation.
>
> After installing Samba 4.12.x, I added only this in [global] section of
> /etc/samba/smb.conf to get access to one of my old SMB1 only network based
> HDD:
>
> server min protocol = CORE
> client min protocol = CORE
>
> After a reboot, I got access to my share, but every single time I want to
> copy / create a new file, a folder is created!
>
> Of course, I cannot delete this folder.
>
> Here is an error log I had in /var/log/everything.log:
>
> Mar 31 23:28:40 fredo-arch-mate gvfsd[1096]: Kerberos auth with
> 'fred at WORKGROUP' (WORKGROUP\fred) to access '192.168.1.254' not possible
>
> Any idea? Thanks!

I've got no rabbit to pull out of the hat for that one. I would post this
exact message to the SAMBA list samba at lists.samba.org

Things move pretty fast in samba development, and the older standalone
fileserver setups don't get much development work compared to ActiveDirectory,
etc..

The samba list is very responsive and they will be able to diagnose the issue.
I'll look for your post there.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.