[arch-general] Problem with packaging pyxdg and xdg from PyPI

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 5 16:10:15 UTC 2020

On 4/4/20 7:32 PM, Ricardo Band wrote:
> Ahoi,
>
> I maintain a tool called virtualfish [1] on the AUR. It is writte in
> python and one dependency of it is called xdg [2]. It is not packaged
> in archlinux so I would just do that on the AUR. Problem is there
> already is a package in archlinux extra which is called python-xdg [3].
> That package includes a python library called pyxdg [4] which does
> nearly the same as xdg but is still a different library.
>
> In my opinion the arch packages python-xdg and python2-xdg have an
> incorrect name. They should be called python-pyxdg so the xdg module
> could be packaged under python-xdg.
>
> The naming schema with the python-py prefix looks odd but isn't new. It
> is already used in the pyserial [5] package.
>
> How do we solve this problem?

Also keep in mind that since both provide 'import xdg', renaming the
package wouldn't let you install both of them.

Also when renaming a repository package, we must add
provides/conflicts/replaces which means a new python-xdg package would
never be found from the AUR, and if manually installed, would prompt to
replace it with the repo package on every singe pacman -Syu.

Fragmentation is fun.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User