[arch-general] Doubts with 'apulse'

riveravaldez riveravaldezmail at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 02:21:40 UTC 2020

Hi, if this queries must go to some other specific places (forums,
AUR, etc.) please let me know so I move them there.

1. According to the instructions in [1] «it is necessary to exclude
/dev/snd/ from Firefox' sandboxing by adding it to the comma-separated
list in about:config → security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist»,
but right now I'm using '$ apulse firefox' without that exclusion and
seems to work fine. Maybe that's outdated? (My system is updated.)

2. According to [2] «to allow ALSA programs to play while JACK is
running edit (or create) /etc/asound.conf» with this:

# convert alsa API over jack API
# use it with
# % aplay foo.wav

# use this as default
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "jack"
    hint.description "Jack Audio"
}

Now, when I installed apulse, I got this instruction: «For using
PulseAudio emulation create a proper .asoundrc: $ cp
/usr/share/apulse/asoundrc.sample ~/.asoundrc».

Is there any relation or conflict between those two files?

BTW, I simply forgot to follow that apulse indication, but it seems to
work fine anyway. Maybe it's not necessary?

Thanks a lot.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox#Multimedia_playback
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit#Playing_nice_with_ALSA