[arch-general] hostapd and systemd-networkd ordering cycle

Joan Aymà joanayma at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 10:16:13 UTC 2020

Hi,

I have a bridge configured through systemd-networkd and a wifi AP with
hostpad. The wifi AP interface is attached to the bridge by
systemd-networkd.

There is a ordering cycle that is:

network.target -> systemd-networkd.service -> hostapd.service ->
network.target

(btw I used
https://github.com/jantman/misc-scripts/blob/master/dot_find_cycles.py to
helpful debug it.)

The unit file of the hostapd has (only pasted relevant info):

[Unit]
*After=network.target*
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

That's it. Bu if I create a
/etc/systemd/system/hostapd.service.d/after.conf with:

[Unit]

After=

*After=network-pre.target*

It never overrides the cycle (it's read but the After is not overridden).
If I create a /etc/systemd/system/hostapd.conf with the difference above
the it works fine and no ordering cycle.

Should I open a PR to fix the /lib/systemd/system/hostapd.service? How?

Thanks,
Joan.