[arch-general] NFS "updates"?

Hauke Fath hf at spg.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Apr 27 19:15:33 UTC 2020

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 19:25:59 +0100, Leonidas Spyropoulos via
arch-general wrote:
> On 27/04/20, Hauke Fath wrote:
>> Re-reading, this is an Arch decision -- what is the rationale? Can
>> anybody point me to a related discussion?
>
> It's not, it just defaults to "Y",

-- which requires building your own kernel to change, right?

https://github.com/archlinux/linux/commit/b24ee6c64ca785739b3ef8d95fd6becaad1bde39

> There's also a bit of explanation if it's useful

Yes, it is - actually, nfs(5) has a much longer explanation, as well as
a viable workaround: Shorten the udp fragment reassembly timeout on
fast networks.

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 20:12:17 +0200, Markus Schaaf via arch-general
wrote:
>> It's a kernel configuration which is introduced with 5.6 kernel. In my
>> CONFIG_NFS_DISABLE_UDP_SUPPORT=y
>
> Wow! I'd say udp is used a lot with nfsvers=3. That will break many nfs3
> deployments.

This.

I (and my users) certainly would appreciate if the decision could be
reconsidered.

Cheerio,
Hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344