[arch-general] pacman -Syu ~ 1 yr. of packages, tty1 hangs after root clean, tty2 console login OK - how to fix?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Aug 15 07:57:19 UTC 2020

On 8/14/20 3:18 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Additionally, I've done a completely additional reinstall:
>
> # pacman -Qqn | pacman -S -
>
> All goes well, no errors, but the boot still hangs on tty1 and no GUI or X is
> every started though sddm says it is running.
>
> I think it is time to wipe the slate clean and reinstall unless anyone has a
> better idea?

GAH!!!!

  The original reinstall would have solved everything -- but for Arch removing
the nvidia-390xx packages, WTF?? There were no new ones there so the 390.116
packages installed on my Laptop were never updated causing boot to hang.

  That is a shame. You just can't pull a videocard out of your i7 laptop to
update for fun, and you sure can't run desktop effects in KDE without it. I'm
not sure I understand the logic in Arch dropping the 390xx drivers relegating
a host of laptops Quadro cards to trying to build the nvidia-390xx, the utils
and settings package. Even following the list, I don't recall a discussion
about the discontinuation and there was no warning on update or error on
reinstall.

  But, it is done, and aside from the netctl SNAFU and the nvidia surprise,
the update from 6/19 to 8/20 worked just fine -- which is pretty amazing.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.