[arch-general] Telinit?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Aug 17 15:56:23 UTC 2020

Thanks much for the detailed explanation.  Response below.

On 8/16/20 10:38 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> The sysvcompat symlinks still installed are:
> - halt
> - reboot
> - poweroff
> - shutdown
> - init
>
> These programs are generically useful on fully systemd systems, and
> systemd documents them as such:
>
> "These commands are implemented in a way that preserves basic
> compatibility with the original SysV commands. systemctl(1) verbs halt,
> poweroff, reboot provide the same functionality with some additional
> features."
>
> When it comes to telinit, the description is, rather:
>
> "This is a legacy command available for compatibility only. It should
> not be used anymore, as the concept of runlevels is obsolete."

Hmmm ... OK.  I wasn't aware that telinit was now being considered
legacy/deprecated.  I've habitually used it for years to drop to single
user mode, which I do every time before I perform a system update with
pacman.  I guess I'll have to find some other command to do the same
using systemd.  (I think they call it rescue mode, rather than single
user mode.)

Thanks,

DR